In this case study we highlight the benefits of using the NORBIT WINGHEAD® integrated survey system in a dual head configuration
- Dual Head NORBIT WINGHEAD®, featuring integrated Applanix OceanMaster GNSS/INS system.
- NORBIT Sound Velocity Profiler.
Dual Head NORBIT WINGHEAD®
- First cylindrical ultra-high resolution bathymetry sonar on the market.
- 0.5 x 0.9beam widths at 400kHz.
- HD beamformer providing 2048 beams per ping.
- High performance integrated GNSS/INS systems.
- Integrated sound velocity probe.
- Small form factor and low power consumption.
- Designed for rapid mobilization on any platform.
Benefits of Dual Head
Operating the NORBIT WINGHEAD in a dual head configuration offers several benefits compared to single head:
- For pipeline surveys, coverage on the pipe is increased by tilting the sonars inwards and optimizing the sonar’s field of view, ensuring that both sides of the pipe are imaged.
- Increased sounding density and smaller bin sizes, with up to 2048 beams per ping, plus added data redundancy and averaging capabilities.
- Increased swath coverage, by tilting the sonars
outwards and directing more energy to the outer
swath, allowing large swathes of seabed to be mapped
The highly integrated solution enables small form-factor and rapid deployment.
- All sensors are interfaced to small topside units, where data is time stamped by the integrated GNSS.
- The sonars and surface SVP are interfaced to the topside units via single deck cables.
- Compatible with the NORBIT PORTUS mounting pole, a lightweight carbon fiber mounting solution suitable for small and medium-sized survey vessels.
- The GUI features an integrated INS setup wizard, as well as monitoring functions, to simplify the setup.
- The survey system interfaces to an on-board computer via Ethernet connection for data acquisition.
High Sounding Density
Each sonar generates 1024 beams per ping, giving a combined 2048 beams per ping.
- More hits on targets (enhanced definition) aids feature detection.
- Smaller bin sizes.
The NORBIT WINGHEAD dual head system offers ultra-high resolution bathymetry data with 0.5beam widths at 400kHz.
- Compact, easy-to-mount hardware with minimal cables for rapid mobilization.
- Increased sounding density (2048 beams per ping) and smaller bin sizes.
- Added data redundancy and averaging capabilities.
- Increased angular swath coverage.
- Reduced survey time.